NEOGEN Real Fresh Green Tea Foam Cleanser Review
This is my go to cleanser at the moment due to its cleansing power, ingredients, and general enjoyment. It is a foam cleanser which means that the product is in liquid form but when it is pumped out it is converted to a foam. Long story short = BUBBLES. And I like bubbles- especially ones that help your skin! It's from a series of foam cleansers from NEOGEN including Cereal (brightening), Cranberry (revitalising) and Blueberry (moisturising). Green Tea is the one I'll be reviewing and is aimed at soothing the skin.
- Real green tea leaves at the bottom of the bottle = legit.
- Antioxidants galore! This helps keep your skin healthy.
- Has a pH of 7.
- Uses natural ingredients- free of parabens, sulfates, mineral oil, petroleum, animal-derived ingredients and artificial pigments.
- Easy to use and hygienic pump.
- Foams up really well (make sure you pat water on your face for more bubbles). A little goes a long way!
- Leaves your skin feeling clean but not stripped.
- Expires after 8 months opening.
The NEOGEN Green Tea Real Fresh Foam Cleanser is a foam cleanser like no other. Or so I've found. It has delivered consistent results every time I have used it and won the SOKOGLAM Beauty Awards in 2015 as a result. The fact that you can see the main ingredient at the bottom warrants some pretty big ups- these days you have to check the ingredients list to make sure what it says is true! The main ingredient is fermented green tea leaves which swish around at the bottom and are known for their brightening and hydrating properties. It is super ideal as your second water-based cleanser to remove all remaining impurities after your oil cleanser. For my oil cleanser, I use the Banila Co. Clean It Zero.
I recommend this product to every skin type as it does not pick sides- it even works great on sensitive skin. This is because it is a super gentle foam but don't worry, they don't compromise on their effectiveness for it!
HOW TO USE:
- Pat a little bit of warm water onto your face and fingers. This allows for the product to foam up faster.
- Pump once to release foam (seriously that's all you need!)
- Using circular motions, massage the foam onto your face. Be careful to avoid the eyes.
- Rinse off with warm water.
The biggest thing I found with this cleanser was how gentle it is. The foam easily lathers up so you do not need to work it up into a foam on your hands. Instead, you can apply it straight onto your face! I normally pat on a little bit of warm water prior to application- this means that a little product goes a long way. Doing it this way also means that the product doesn't dry up on your face, causing you to add more product. There is a smell to the foam but I'll be honest, I have no idea what it is. I have been trying to work out it for weeks to no avail! It just smells fresh (could be worse). Regardless, the smell is not overwhelming and does not affect my use of it. The results of this cleanser are that it leaves my skin smooth and clean, without feeling unnecessarily stripped. I find that over-stripping can be a common issue with foam cleansers, but the NEOGEN Green Tea Foam cleanser removes impurities without removing your natural oils (hooray!) When applied to the skin it has a surprisingly creamy texture which means that rubbing it on is a pretty pleasant experience. Having tested it myself, it has a pH of 7.
WELCOME TO FARRELLIA!
Hiya! My name is Shaleen- I'm a newly 21 year old from the bottom of the world with a skincare obsession.
Oily/ Sensitive/ Dehydrated/ Scarring.
I have to say that being able to see the green tea leaves at the bottom of the bottle really makes you feel like you are getting the most out of this product. Not only do you know exactly what is going on your face but it even feels a little luxurious. The presence of fermented leaves does mean that the product expires 8 months after you open it but that should be plenty of time anyway! It doesn't sting my face (even if I've been picking.. two slaps to the hand) but it is a little painful when gets into your eye- and if you're anything like me this is a common occurrence. But obviously, you don't want it to get in there so try to avoid that.
- Some of the biggest ups about NEOGEN is that their products are anti-animal cruelty. A lot of Korean cosmetics and skincare brands are moving this way due to an anti-animal testing law coming into place in the next few years but with NEOGEN you can already be 100% assured. Their products are also free of parabens, sulfates, mineral oil, petroleum, animal-derived ingredients and artificial pigments.
In terms of price, it is more expensive than your average cleanser. I'm not sure about you but when it comes to cleansers, I don't mind spending a little bit extra on a product if I know that it is going to work. This goes for its effectiveness but also its ingredients- which I discuss in the next paragraph. In New Zealand, it retails for 30 NZD (the most expensive cleanser I've bought to date), and 19 USD. For some readers, I understand that this might be more than you are willing to spend on a cleanser. I definitely have been there myself, but when it comes to goods for your skin I think sometimes it is better to spend a little more when you are pretty much guaranteed an effective and gentle product.
INGREDIENTS: WHY THEY'RE THERE AND WHAT THEY DO.
You might have guessed it but green tea leaves are the main focus of this cleanser and for good reason! We all know drinking green tea is good for us but putting it on your skin has just as many benefits. Green tea leaves have some pretty powerful properties- its antioxidant properties and its ability to fight inflammation and bacteria being the ones we are most interested in for our skin. Those pimples that are big, red, seem to be under the skin and hurt like crazy are actually inflamed. From my own experience, I have found green tea and tea tree oil to both be a great help for reducing inflammation, so I suggest that you aim for skincare products that have either of these products.
- This cleanser can be particularly effective for oily skin types as green tea acts as an astringent. It helps to reduce the production of sebum (the skins natural oil) rather than just removing excess oils. In saying this, it still works on normal and dry skin types. Dry types will generally know if foam cleansers work on their skin type so if it does, this cleanser is one to try!
It also contains a lot of fermented products. I'm a pretty big fan of fermented products as they seem to work well on my skin but also because the process of fermentations means that the ingredients are extra potent. Extra potent ingredients allow for extra enzymes and vitamins for your skin to soak up. Sounds pretty good to me! Some ingredients that stand out are soybean extract (moisturising, firming and suggested to reverse sun damage) and pomegranate (nourishing, inflammation, soothing).
Basically, there is a heck of a lot of natural ingredients in here so when you read the ingredients you can actually understand and even better, pronounce them. It also uses coconut, orange peel, ginseng root extract and lots of flowers like chrysanthemums and hibiscus' extract.
- As there are a lot of ingredients there is also the potential for your skin to have a reaction. As always, err on the side of caution. If you wish to take a look yourself, the COSDNA entry for the NEOGEN Green Tea Foam Cleanser is here.
1/5: Negative, nada, no.
2/5: Definitely not enough magic to consider re-purchasing.
3/5: It had its effects but there are many more products out there that do better.
4/5: Going great! Going to keep using until I find something more effective.
I really enjoy this, it is definitely my favourite foaming cleanser at the moment and is better than the others I've tried!
5/5: Holy grail!
This post contains affiliate links but you do not have to use them if you don't want to- it just means that I receive a small commission with no extra cost to the viewer. For more, see my disclaimer here.